Sunday, June 22, 2008

Mitered Square Striped Afghan

I've started a new project to use up some of the inherited acrylic yarn I just couldn't get rid of. A Friend of my parents mother died and she had about 5 garbage bags of yarn that was going to be thrown out. So I took it. I went through it all and yes, it was all Acrylic. I kept some select skeins, but I found a lady who makes makes afghans for homeless shelters, so she got most if it.

I found some mice brushed acrylic ( Red Heart Symphony) at Michaels on clearance for 2.00/skein in a purple/black colorway. I've been wanting to make a purple-ish afghan for the house so I bought some up. I figured I could do something with is. So I started mixing it with different colors of the acrylic and settled on mitered squares. I don't like the look of just miters in a blanket so I am breaking them up with striped squares to make a larger block, sort of quilt-like.

Here it is in Progress:
Block afghan IP

It is going really fast because it is doubled yarn, and I'm knitting it on size 13 needles. And the brushed acrylic makes it really soft.

I'm planning on writing up this pattern and posting it on Ravelry when I am finished or nearly finished.

No comments: