Sunday, April 22, 2007

Leavin' on a Jet Plane

I wanted to get a quick update before I left on my Trip. I have to be in New York for a couple of days for work. I am planning on going to the Museum of Art and Design to see the Subversive Knitting show. I am so siked about that!!!!! I did not expect to get to NY this spring so I figured there would be no chance for me to see this, but just when you think things could never work out......they do.

Anyway. I got a couple of new books and I wanted to share.

toys and such1

The knitted Toys book is very nice. This is the very first time I have ever even considered knitting toys. I have a couple of friends who are pregnant and I I don't think I will have the time to finish baby quilts or knitted or crocheted blankets, so I thought I would knit them toys. One is due in June and I made her first daughter a flannel quilt. It came out really nice, but this time she does not know what she is having( wouldn't turn during the Ultrasound) and I'm not sure if another blanket makes sense. The other lady is due in October. I may still try to make a blanket (probably quilt it because I can do that in 1-2 weeks even with a busy schedule). This is her first. We are still waiting on whether it is a boy or girl. Hopefully this baby will cooperate with the ultrasound

The mouse came out sooooooooo cute. Anyway the book has great pictures. I haven't checked for corrections, but I think I found one in the mouse pattern, but it was really a very small one ( Knit a row that should have been purled for the StSt)

The other picture is of the Ampersand sock. This pattern comes out really great in handpainted yarn. the purple is of course for GE high school ( where my kids go.) I discussed the yarn in my previous post. But i got 2 pair of ankle socks and I still have left over yarn from this skein. It was such a great Value. I've been watching Madeline Tosh on Etsy for more. I think I will buy more. I am waiting to see how these socks where though.

The other book I got was the Interweave sock book that was just published. I have not had a chance to try any of the socks from it. I did do the embossed leaf pattern from the magazine. I love knitting that pattern. It just feels really nice and the pattern was really easy to memorize. I think that was the only pattern that I already had from this book. so I am really excited to try some of the other ones.


I've packed some sock yarn and if I get some quiet time in NY I plan on starting some new socks. I'm going to work on some stripped ones. I've not done any real color work but love the stripped look on socks. I'll let you know how this works out. I'm not sure how far I can carry the yarn in the pattern I am thinking of. there may be some experimentation in this one. But that is fun too.

Ta Ta for now

No comments: