Friday, September 14, 2007

Oh!!!! Fall is coming

Well I just realized that I have been blogging for about 1 year. I remember starting sometime around fall last year. I've been much better at keeping up with it now. I was pitiful a the beginning. I'm faster now at downloading pictures.

Thanks for all who check in on me to see what I am up to....Speaking of what I have been up to. I finished the scarf for my daughter. She like it. At least it has found a place in her closet among other clothes she will wear.
100_3802

If you will notice, the picture is of the wrong side of the scarf, but my camera battery has died so I will have to get the correct side ( or I should say the knit side) photo to you later.

I've also been working on a pair of gloves. I purchased some handspun alpaca last year and it has been in my stash just waiting for me to knit up a pair of gloves.
100_3809
I have this one complete except for the thumb. I actually kitchner stitch the last 6 stitches together. I think this makes a flatter top of the finger. I used the vintage knit gloves pattern. i just added a 3 inch ribbing tot he wrist. They fit so nice. I love gloves. I am planning on casting on the other one tonight.

I've also decided to treat myself (for my birthday this month) to the hobby of spinning. I've been researching it and I think it is time for me to jump in. I put the order for the Book, Spinning in the Old Way and I ordered a spindle and various medium grade wools to begin with from www.Fiber2yarn.com. Elizabeth was great help in letting me know what I needed to get started. I'm so excited. I cannot wait to get my supplies.

I decided to go with hand spinning on a spindle. I know it is very different than wheel spinning, but I like the control factor and the simplicity of it. I thought about why I wanted to spin and it is not about pumping out lots of yarn. It is about learning a new skill and trying to get really good at making yarn. From all I read, there is alot of control over this process with the Spindle. I guess we'll see....

I'll keep you posted..
Have a great weekend.

2 comments:

~Tonia~ said...

The scarf and gloves look great.

Ooooo you are going to start spinning!!! I started on a drop spindle too. Yes there is more control with it. There are so many pretty ones out there I am sure you will end up with a nice collection. ;) They are very addictive. I am so excited for you. If you need any help let me know and I will try to help.

Pickyknitter said...

Yay - another spinner! I actually had to learn to knit in self defense after I learned to spin - suddenly I had all these skeins of yarn to use! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.